Friday, September 29, 2006

School has started!

Finally!! I am sooo excited! My research is most likely going to be about using rumen bacteria in anaerobic digestion of poop to make methane (and maybe some hydrogen?). Anyway, its going to be engineering, its going to be microbiology, its going to be fabulous ;) We’ll see if I’m still saying that in a couple years :) My classes are going to be interesting as well- I’m taking a renewable bioprocessing class, plant cell walls and research methods for engineers or something like that. One good thing is that I don’t have class on Friday so if I don’t have anything else to do on campus I can stay home and work. Looks like they are going to be a lot of reading and writing/discussing etc. which will be good since I will have 2 hours every day on the train to do just that ;)

I have an office (shared) that has 3 windows! a big change from Weaver which only had like 3 windows in the whole building. I got a new messenger bag to carry my stuff and a hefty bike lock so I am all ready to be a commuter :P I am not the only crazy person who bike/train commutes to Davis. There is a lady to commutes from Auburn (one stop east of roseville) and I think a guy, I’ve only seen him a couple times so I’m not sure if he’s a regular or not.
I am also going to rent a garden plot on campus! For the fall I’m gonig to try to grow brocolli, spinach and maybe peas.. you have to ’shell’ them and I’m not exactly overflowing with spare time to shell peas. I’m not completely sure that I’m overflowing with time to keep a garden but I’m going to give it a shot.

Well, thats about it. If I get time I may try to make the pictures just links so the page doesn’t take 5 years to load… aanyway, everyone (assuming people read this..?) keep me updated on whats going on in NC and otherwise!

2 comments:

  1. If you’re going to San Francisco… Be sure to wear flowers in your hair… :)

    That’s a bummer about the driver’s license and not having your married name. I would be upset to go all the way to California and not have your marriage certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kelly!

    Thanks for keeping us updated! I have this page bookmarked and I check it whenever I am bored at work (okay, not that often because then I’d be checking it constantly!)…it sounds like you are doing great. Congratulations on becoming Californian! I am glad that crazy commute is working out for you. Your classes and research sound super interesting!

    We just got back from our trip to France last night, which was fun. I am super tired, so this is one time when I am glad to be bored at work. Anyway, we saw lots of stuff and had a great time. It helped to have my parents with us who have been there before. Much less stressful than Italy was by ourselves last year!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete