Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Walnuts are evil

I have gotten this terrible idea in my head that I want to run a marathon.  I am scared to sign up though because they are expensive and what if I chicken out or don't have time to train or some other unforseen emergency arises that I must attend to?  Then I will have wasted money and I hate wasting money.  So to ease myself into it, I have been trying to get myself in a running schedule of 3-4 times per week to test my schedule and see if I can squeeze in anything else.  So far it has been going OK.  I feel like I am getting faster so that is good.

On Monday I decided I wanted to do a long(er) run - around 4.5 miles.  Compared to a marathon that is like nothing, but you have to start somewhere!  I got to about mile 4.0 and I started getting pretty pooped.  I'm not very good at long runs because I always go too fast.  I have a need for speed- seriously, my knees like to go fast.  So, its hot, I'm tired, just pushing through that last half a mile when all of a sudden it feels like someone is tearing my foot off my body.  I look down and see a walnut rolling away from my throbbing ankle.  Then I start to feel a little woozy and cursing ensues.  I hope there were no children or elderly people around because I probably scarred them for life if they were.  I was not conscious enough to notice- I did notice that there were people going by and surprisingly none of them asked me if I was OK.  Maybe walnut attacks are so common in this area that no one even notices anymore.  Anyway, after I regain my sense of awareness I start the half mile hobble home.  It was a long hobble.  I almost pooed in my pants but I made it.  TMI?

So this is the second time this has happened.  Except last time I was 2 miles away from home.  I think I need to find a path with shade trees that do not produce trip hazards...

No comments:

Post a Comment