Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Yo-yo Ma and Neatloaf

L
ast week Derrick and I went to San Francisco for the day to attend an open rehearsal of the SF Symphony- featuring Yo-yo Ma! Here is a picture of the symphony warming up and Yo-yo Ma playing!




It was pretty awesome. He got so into when he played compared to the other symphony members.

After the show we went to eat at a place down the street called Ananda Fuara




Its inspired by this kinda weird religious/cult guy, but you wouldn't know it except that there is info about it on the menu. Anyway, the food was delicious! I got curry and Derrick got Neatloaf, which is basically vegetarian meatloaf. Derrick like it so much that he googled a recipe for me to try! I made it over the weekend and it is so good! Here is the
recipe I used:
    Neatloaf
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup Lipton Onion Soup Mix (I don't know what this is, I just added some bullion and extra onions instead)
  • 1/3 lb low-fat ricotta cheese
  • 1/3 lb firm tofu (squished up into small pieces)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil, of choice
  • 1/3 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (make sure you cook it well or the rice bits on the outside will turn to rocks)
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
  • 4 cups Special K cereal (I substituted quick oats)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic
    Here are the ingredients for the sauce:
  • 1/2 cup ketchup (you can also substitute catsup)
  • 1/8 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
  • Cayenne pepper (to taste - a pinch is plenty for me)
    Directions:
  • Heat oven to 300°F.
  • Saute the onions and garlic (in just a little bit of oil).
  • Beat eggs in bowl, the mix together all ingredients except Special K (to make gluten free add gluten free corn flakes instead)
  • Mix well, and add Special K last.
  • Turn into a pan sprayed with cooking oil. You can use either a 7×9 or 8×8 pan.
  • Bake 1 hour.
  • While Neatloaf cooks prepare sauce, whisking together all sauce ingredients in a bowl. I typically like a lot of sauce so I double the sauce part. (I just used the sauce from my regular meatloaf recipe since I didn't have all the stuff in this one)
  • Remove loaf from oven, pour sauce over the loaf and cook an additional 10 minutes.
  • When loaf is done, if you can avoid the temptation, it’s best to let it sit for 10-15 minutes


1 comment: