Friday, February 15, 2008

Seedlings!

I have started seeds indoors!

So far I have peppers (orange and red), one tomato, marigolds, garlic chives and basil seedlings. Still waiting on the rest of the tomatoes, purple and hot peppers, poppies and calendula to come up. My system is kinda ghetto. I have Spongebob paper cups with dirt under two desklamps. Overall it seems to work pretty well. Two things for next year: 1. garden soil and potting soil are not the same- get the potting soil. 2. Paper cups rot- get plastic. This may not be a problem if I get sterile potting soil though. Anyway, here are the pics:

100_2175.jpg

100_2176.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Did you use just regular incandescent light bulbs in the desk lamps, or grow-light bulbs? I'm interested in starting seedlings for my garden, maybe even for this year.
    The seedlings look great, by the way :) They must feel very stylish living in Spongebob paper cups ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just used regular light bulbs and it seems to be working so far. Last year I just had them by a window and they got very leggy, but not so with the current set up.
    I don't think its too late to start for this year! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the spongebob cups! It makes the whole process more fun.

    ReplyDelete